Good-Bye Mint Chocolate Chip!

Take that bagel with you, too.

As I approach the big 4 – 0, it’s time to check out the inventory. My inventory. I’m content with who I’ve become. I’m not saying there isn’t room for improvement, but I know I’m where I need to be in life and well on the road to where I want to go.

As I take stock of me, I realize I’m storing a little too much in too many places. No, I’m not going to tell you how much I weigh, and Countdown to 40 isn’t going to parallel Bridget Jones’ Diary with her daily weight-loss updates.

I’ll even resist the temptation to outline my reasons and excuses for why I gained weight and stopped exercising. I’ll take my own advice, leave history in the past, and focus on moving forward.

My weight loss will not only make me feel better about how I look on the outside, but it also will promote better health on the inside. It’ll be worth my weight loss in gold, if I can break my DNA’s vicious cycle and prevent diabetes, high cholesterol, and high blood pressure from ever knocking on my door.

There are five and a half months till my birthday, and I need to set a goal. As much as I’d love to have a supermodel’s body, I don’t think I’ll have enough time.

So, what should I aim for?

If I dedicate myself to eating well most often and exercising four times a week, I can lose eight pounds a month. I know I can. That’s about 40 pounds. When I think of it in eight-pound increments, it doesn’t sound too hard. It sounds realistic and achievable, two of the most important characteristics of a goal.

The positive support of my friends and family will also be crucial. I’ll have most of their cooperation and will avoid the saboteurs at all cost. Sorry, saboteurs, this is too important.

I’ll also have the benefit of attending some events along the way, which is always great incentive to try to look one’s best. This fall will be packed with lots of them: a high school reunion of sorts; several friends’ 40th birthday parties; a professional conference; and maybe even jumping out of someone’s 45th birthday cake. (Just checking to see if you’re paying attention.)

Losing 40 pounds should also help me drop four dress sizes. Right?

Well, if that’s the case, I’m in — losing 40 by 40 it is.