Can you see the green?

Recently, I saw one of my colleagues heading to the garbage with a plant. Most of its leaves were wilted, brown, and curled. Its soil was dry and cracked.

I’m sure it’ll come to you as no surprise that I was unable to control myself and asked her where she was going with the plant.

She told me the plant was left by a former employee a few months ago and, even though someone else in the office tried to occasionally care for it, the plant died.

You can imagine the look on my colleague’s face when I told her the plant wasn’t dead and shouldn’t be thrown out.

She pointed out all the dead leaves and cracked soil. She mentioned how sickly and sad it looked.

I pointed to the few traces of green and began asking questions. Where was the plant kept? In direct sunlight? In an area without light? How often was it watered?

She told me she found it on the windowsill. She wasn’t sure about the water, but we were both pretty sure that it wasn’t getting enough.

I told her I’d be willing to care for it, once I found out what was best. She said she’d be happy to care for it, if I could help her find out what it needs.

By now, we were joined by another colleague and getting advice from several passersby.

I looked between the dead leaves and pulled out the plastic instruction tab that comes with most plants. It read something along the lines of: Peace Lily — Keep away from direct sunlight. Keep soil moist.

We began removing the dead leaves and noticed more green than before. The dead ones were blocking our view. We even noticed a bud waiting to bloom.

Two months later, this is the most beautiful plant in its row. Its stems and leaves are bright green and erect. It has more flowers than I imagined possible.



Fascinated by its complete recovery, I read about this beautiful plant online. I found out in a study conducted by NASA that it’s one of the top 10 plants for fighting Sick Building Syndrome by effectively removing formaldehyde, benzene, and trichloroethylene from the air.

When I saw the plant being taken to the trash, I had no idea how taking care of it in turn would provide a benefit to everyone in the office. I only thought of saving the plant.

I walk by it so many times each day, I couldn’t even guess how many. I still notice its beauty each and every time.

Our lives may not be as simple as those of plants, but we owe it to ourselves to shake off our brown leaves; recognize our potential; seek nourishment — of the mind, body, and soul; reach out to those around us; and thrive.

This Peace Lily is no longer just a plant to me.

It’s a reminder of how each one of us is different and, when properly nurtured, we all have the potential to grow strong, thrive, and make the world a better place.