Let's talk about sex . . . really.

Sex, Sex, Sex! If Cosmo can talk about it, so can I!

What could be on my mind at this stage of the game? For goodness sakes, I'm turning 40! Actually, I'm officially 39.75 today. 

Haven't I figured out everything I need to know?

Well . . . It seems to be that the second fascination people are having with my imminent change in demographic group is my sex life. Maybe not my sex life, but that of a woman approaching the big 4 - 0.

There seems to be a great difference in opinion as to whether "it's going to get even better" or "it's all downhill from here." Yikes!

Of course, with all the questions and comments, there are now a few things on my mind . . .

  • Whenever I hit my sexual peak  at 40 or later  how long will it last?
  • After the peak, does it have to be downhill from there?
  • Is a woman's sexual peak all about hormones and their levels, or is it more about her frame of mind?
  • Will I know when I'm at my peak or only realize I had it once it's gone?
  • Am I supposed to be doing something about this?

I hadn't thought about sexual peak since high school health education. Forty, which was the age I thought was associated with it for women, has always been a lifetime away.

For most of my adult life, I've been fortunate to have had good relationships with a shared healthy appetite in the bedroom. OK, OK, OK . . . not only in the bedroom. (I can say that. I'm almost 40.)

It's funny now to look back on all these years. At every stage, I thought I reached the best point, and it couldn't get any better. Then, a few months or so later, I'd be amazed at how wrong I was. I vividly remember being in love for the first time when I was almost 21 and how I thought I hit the jackpot. My, oh, my! But as time passed, I realized that was only my first pot of gold.

As I talk with my girlfriends who are about my age, give or take some years in either direction, I realize how diverse we are when it comes to matters of the heart and intimacy but, at the same time, we all feel that we haven't hit our peaks yet and don't really know when to expect them or what they'll really be like.

Trying to find a little peace of mind, I searched for some much needed answers, only to learn there are more differences of opinion than I ever imagined.

So . . . Here are some of the interesting resources I came across:

For the record . . . even after all my research, I haven't found definitive answers to any of my questions. I guess I'll have to accept this, too, as one of life's wonders and learn as I go.