Who loves a Monday morning quarterback?

No one!

Do you come in contact with people who always know better than you?

These same people can’t wait to give you their opinions and negative feedback . . . after a project is complete. They’re also scarce when you need a hand or advice.

I like hearing people’s suggestions before and during a project. I truly believe in the Chinese proverb, “When three people walk down the street, one is always learning.” (Thanks, Francis.)

I also enjoy growing from constructive criticism and feedback about areas for improvement. There’s always room for growth and achieving better results.

I’m sometimes challenged by what to do with those people who are involved with a project, don’t share their ideas and suggestions during its implementation, and only offer negative criticism when the project is complete.

After seven months of hard work, the Long Island Coaching Alliance held our first major, public event on Sunday, November 1. So much of the event was a great success and, at the same time, there naturally was room for improvement.

The chairs, three other members of the Executive Board and I, all dedicated much of our free time for seven months to ensure the event would be as successful as possible. We also tried to enlist the help of others and were thrilled that so many people stepped up to the plate.

Many thanks to my fellow event chairs, members of the Executive Board, keynote speaker and award recipient, panelists, and all of the Long Island and New York City coaches that participated in the event.

As it was our first event on this scale, we met with several bumps in the road during our journey. That said, most of the feedback was better than I expected, and I’m grateful to those who shared their positive remarks and constructive criticism.

I am, however, surprised and disappointed by the response I got from one of my thank you notes. The person found it appropriate to point out the things he decided we didn’t do.

I guess he forgot that these were the things we asked for his and everyone’s assistance. I guess he also forgot about the other things he agreed to do, but never followed through on. I guess he didn’t feel it was necessary to share suggestions during the several months he was involved in the event preparation.

Maybe he’s the kind of person who prefers to stand by the sidelines and watch others fumble, instead of offering valuable input during the game. 

Well . . . another Monday morning quarterback isn’t what any of us need.